Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Calming Before the Storm

A mere 48 hours separates me from production. They will probably be the longest 48 hours of my life. At this point, pre-production is done. Everything is in place. We have our actors, our crew, our props, our locations, our schedule . . . there's nothing more than can be done to prepare for production. The only thing I can do now is relax.

Due to the nature of film making, next week promises to be long, stressful, insanely fun, and exhausting. The best thing for me to do now is relax. Relaxing for me, however, is very hard to do. My mind never rests. It's always working, processing, recording, and imagining. It is stimulated by everything -- everything but comedy.

Comedy distracts me. It makes me put my thoughts away, listen, and laugh. I can't listen to music. Last night I listened to Atticus Ross' score for The Book of Eli, and had to sit down and write the opening sequence to Season 3. I haven't even finished the outline to Season 2 yet, but thanks to Atticus Ross' moody score and my overactive imagination, I know how Season 3 is going to begin.

I don't want to be thinking about Season 3. I want to relax, calm myself, let go of all the questions that won't have answers until we're on set. So I'm listening to Russell Brand, Eddie Izzard, Greg Behrendt, and a whole lot of Jimmy Pardo. A friend at work turned me on to Jimmy Pardo's Never Not Funny podcast and the days are flying by, with me chuckling in the corner.

And then, at night, as my mind whirls with all those questions that won't have answers until we're on set, I pray. I pray for peace of mind and, perhaps a little selfishly, for success.

No comments:

Post a Comment