Thursday, May 20, 2010

Health PSA

I'm hobbling around like my grandfather. Well, I'm hobbling around like I imagine my grandfather would, if either of them were still with us. I never met the one and the other died when I was four. And because they both died of heart attacks, I've decided that I really need to be better about what I eat, what I drink, how I exercise -- and really, the amounts of all those things.

I'm cutting back on soda and trying to avoid the fried fast food. I've also started the P90X program. When Kelly first suggested it, I said, "an entire hour of exercise? Every day? No thank-you! I'm looking for something in the 20-30 minute range, something that will let me get on with my life as soon as possible." Because, really, I'm the kind of guy who goes around wondering how other people get so much done. I've often been heard complaining about the shortage of hours in the day. So the thought of dedicating an entire hour to lifting heavy stuff and running around in circles was absurd to me, to say the least.

But now I've started it. And I'm enjoying it. I like the competition I'm getting into with myself. I like the feeling afterward. And what's weird, is afterward, my mind is cleaner, crisper, and more conducive to creative thought.

The downside, of course, is the aforementioned geriatric hobbling. I did plyometrics yesterday and 24 hours later, if there's anything on the floor that I need to pick up, I have to squat like a pregnant woman.

But I feel good. I'm glad I'm doing it and I'm going to continue doing it. I want to be on this Earth as long as I can. I've just started my life with my wife and we're dreaming of children. I want to be in their lives as much as I can.

And that's all I have to say about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment