Thursday, November 1, 2012

End of Draft 1

Stop looking at me like that.  I haven't been ignoring -- well, okay, actually, that's a lie.  I have been avoiding you, but it's been for a good cause.  I've just completed the first draft of what will hopefully be the first of many adventures of Phileas Reid.  It started like this:


And ended like this:


I've had a great many distractions, but I've finally completed the first draft.  It only took me seven months.  I feel like I should have been able to write it faster, I may have even gone an entire month without writing anything at all, so distracted and exhausted was I from the link above.  But it's done.  Not completely  not at all, but it's done.

I'm going to give myself a week or so before I sit down and read the entire thing start to finish.  I need to find all of its weaknesses and bludgeon them into perfection.  To accomplish this, I need to be more subjective.  I already know there's far too many "he said" and "she said."  But I want to be able to see what plot points don't work or what story elements need to be strengthened or what characters I completely forgot to give a satisfactory ending to.  Not only am I giving myself a week before reviewing it, I've sent it to a few near, dear, and trusted friends who will not think twice in crushing my spirit with their merciless reviews.

Then . . . then it's off to the publishers and my dreams will be in the hands of English majors.

No comments:

Post a Comment