Tuesday, February 16, 2010

The Hero's Journey

I've only seen the rough edits of two episodes and already I've begun outlining Season 2 -- okay, that's an understatement. Last night, I completed the outline for Season 2. It's subject to change and it will most certainly be fleshed out, but it's there, on cyber paper, ready to go.

It's such an interesting thing plotting out a second series of adventures for characters you've already played with. Season 1 is by no means a complete story, yet I spent so much time crafting Season 1 that it feels like I've already told Derek and Annie's story and it's time for me to find new characters to explore and new stories to tell. So now I get to sit down, reassess the characters, the journey they went on, and get to plot out the next part of their journey.

I've always known the big picture. I know what's going on and ultimately how it will end. It's the small details that I get to play with now. I get to decide how long the story will be. I get to decide how long it'll take people to figure things out. I get to decide what giant leaps or what baby steps the character development takes. One great example of this is Evan Johnson's character Derek Fisher.

One of the themes of the show that I want to explore a little more heavily is the concept of a hero. What is it to be heroic? What does that mean in today's society? I would like to deconstruct and then reconstruct The Hero. The Hero Project has been challenging the traditional trappings of The Hero and it's something I'm completely on board with. By the end of Season 2, I want to be able to present Derek Fisher as my example of what a hero is. Speaking in comic book terms, Season 1 and 2 of Remnants is Derek Fisher's origin story. The climax of Season 2 is Derek deciding what kind of hero he's going to be. Any and all subsequent seasons will be exploring that decision, dealing with the fallout, and testing his theory.

I can only hope that it'll start a conversation that has absolutely no end in sight. I love me some long-winded conversations.

No comments:

Post a Comment